Lemon essential oil (Citrus limon) is derived from the peel of lemons and has a fresh and uplifting scent. From skin care applications to cleaning the home, providing natural immune support, and easing respiratory symptoms, lemon oil has a wide range of uses.
1. Brighten complexion- Lemon essential oil helps remove dead skin cells for brighter skin; that's why we use it in our Lemon Coconut Creamy Facial Cleanser, Lemon Poppy Seed Sugar Scrub, and Lemon Shea Butter Bar Soap.
2. Balance oil production- Lemon oil can help regulate the natural oil production that occurs in your skin. If your skin is on the oily side, try this simple DIY toner: Add 24 drops of lemon essential oil to four ounces of witch hazel. Put in a spray bottle, and spray on your face after cleansing, avoiding the eyes. Or, apply with a cotton ball. Shake gently before each use. (See note below about phototoxic essential oils.)
3. Reduce acne- Acne-prone skin can benefit from lemon essential oil. Use the DIY toner above to help clear up acne and blemishes.
4. Treat cold sores- Mix a drop of lemon oil with half an ounce of a carrier oil, such as apricot, olive, or fractionated coconut oil, and dab on the affected area.
Mental and Emotional Support
5. Elevate mood- Add a few drops to a diffuser to help your improve mood (for more on diffusers, see How to Get the Most Out of Your Essential Oils).
6. Ease anxiety- The refreshing scent of lemon essential oil can help calm anxiety.
Respiratory Symptom Relief and Immune Support
7. Soothe a sore throat- Diluted lemon oil can be rubbed on the throat to ease soreness. Or, add 1 drop of lemon essential oil to at least one ounce of water, and gargle with this mixture.
8. Break up respiratory congestion- Add a few drops to a diffuser, and breathe in deeply several times to help break up congestion.
9. Natural immune support- Lemon essential oil contains vitamin C, antioxidants, and compounds that help lower inflammation. Mix 12 drops of lemon essential oil with one ounce of a carrier oil, and rub in to the bottoms of feet for a natural immune boost. Because this oil provides such powerful immune support, we use it in our Immunity Line.
10. Natural cleaner- Lemon essential oil is a natural disinfectant and can be used to clean surfaces without the harmful effects of toxic synthetic chemicals. To make your own surface cleaner, add 20 to 30 drops to an 8-oz. spray bottle full of water, and use it to clean counters, tables, and showers. For extra cleaning power, add lemon essential oil to a half-and-half solution of water and white vinegar. (Note: Do not use vinegar on granite counter tops.) You can also make your own household cleaners using our DIY Cleaning Kit.
11. Cut grease- Use it to cut grease or remove grease spots; also good for removing gum.
12. Cutting board cleaner- Sprinkle some salt on your cutting board, and add a drop of lemon essential oil. Scrub with a sponge or washcloth. Rinse well, and air dry wooden cutting boards standing up. Once a month, rub olive oil into wooden cutting boards to keep them from getting dried out.
13. Laundry- Add a 1/2 teaspoon to a full teaspoon to the wash for an extra fresh scent. Do not use in hot water washes, as high heat can damage essential oils.
14. Air freshener- Add 20 to 30 drops of lemon essential oil to 8 ounces of water, and spray wherever the air needs freshening.
How do you like to use lemon essential oil? Comment below!
Caution: Lemon essential oil may lead to phototoxicity- increased sensitivity to the sun. You can learn more about how to prevent phototoxic reactions here. Essential oils, including lemon, should be diluted before putting them on the skin. Always test essential oils on a small patch of skin, then wait at least 24 hours to be sure you do not have a reaction before using it on larger areas. For more detailed guidelines on how to dilute essential oils, see An Introduction to Lavender Essential Oil.
Axe, Josh. "Top 10 Lemon Essential Oil Uses and Benefits." Dr. Axe. Web. 17 July 2017.
Mercola, Joseph. "Enjoy the Zesty Goodnes of Lemon Oil." Mercola. 28 July 2016. Web. 17 July 2017.
Reichert, Annie. "The Benefits of Lemon Oil on Skin." LIVESTRONG. 29 January 2014. Web. 17 July 2017.
About the Author
Hi, I'm Katie! I love writing for the Blog and working as a Verefina Communications Specialist! I'm also the creator of An Ever Green Life, a blog that seeks to empower my readers to make changes that will improve their health and help protect our environment.
Many of you have been asking for a deodorant stick from Verefina, and it's finally here. Introducing our Magnesium Deodorant Stick! Our brand new deodorant stick features magnesium hydroxide for added odor protection. Non-sticky, vegan candelilla wax creates a smooth glide during application. This gentle, yet extremely effective deodorant has lower levels of baking soda and [...]
Now that it's summertime, you may be using sunscreen more frequently. It probably comes as no surprise that some sunscreens are more effective than others. But you may not be aware that your sunscreen might not be protecting you from all types of UV damage- even if it IS preventing you from getting burned. How UV [...]
The bugs will be out soon (if they aren't already in your area). And if you’re one of those unlucky people who attracts biting insects, then finding an effective way to keep them at bay is probably a must for you. There are many insect repelling options out there, but some products- especially those made [...]
Aloe vera is one of about 500 species of aloe plants. A short-stemmed succulent, aloe vera grows in dry climates. Over 75 potentially active compounds have been identified in this plant, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, amino acids, fatty acids, hormones, and enzymes. These nutrients make aloe vera excellent for healing and maintaining healthy skin. Here [...]
Our Spring Sale runs until April 30. Get up to 75% off select items and FREE shipping on orders of $75 or more! Just look for the pink dot to spot sale items. You'll find big discounts on seasonal products; plus, some of our must-have products for spring and summer are on sale too. Read [...]
Clove essential oil has a warm, spicy-sweet aroma. It comes from the clove plant, which is indigenous to India and Indonesia. The leaves, stems, and buds of the clove plant can all be used to produce the oil. However, clove oil derived from the bud is most commonly used in aromatherapy and skin care; oil [...]
We all know how it feels to be under stress. It can impact health negatively. And high levels of stress and anxiety can even impact one's ability to function. Fortunately, there are several natural approaches that you can take to ease stress and anxiety. 1. ExerciseRegular exercise improves overall health and one's sense of well-being. Exercise [...]
I'm sure you've heard it before: an important key to staying healthy is keeping your hands clean. While there is no substitute for washing your hands with soap and water to help prevent illness, certain hand sanitizers can help when soap is not available. Commercial hand sanitizers can have a negative impact on your health, though. [...]
Are you looking for just the right Valentine's Day gift for that special someone? Verefina products are a luxurious treat that your sweetheart will love! Any of these four gifts are sure to bring a smile to your Valentine's face.1. Massage BarThe Massage Bar is like no other product you’ve used before. Containing cocoa butter, coconut [...]